Tuesday, September 14, 2010

And My Knees Still Shake...

Today is another workshop day and this time for project requirements that require the participation of several global representatives from different regions.

I have participated in several of these in my lifetime. I coordinated several of these and I led several of these types of workshops as well and today was the simplest one I will participate in in the past 3 years - I only need to welcome the team, give them the vision of the end result, tell them why this project is important to the company, my team, and me and yet - my knees still shook prior to the talk - the same knees that shook during my first ever public talk. This time though - there is a difference. I knew it would happen and I knew how to control it.

Unknown to my team, I was actually preparing for the 30 minutes of talk for a few days now - forming the structure in my head, deciding what I needed to say and what I need to accomplish. I probably played the whole thing in my head for several hours already- each time tweaking - each time enhancing - I made sure I knew what my message should be, how to impress that message to the audience I knew would be there and ensure they leave knowing how important the project is and more importantly, how important they are in ensuring its success.

That is my mission - get them not just on board the boat - but rowing - rowing like no man has rowed before - rowing with a determination to reach the destination I need us to reach with ferocity and perseverance.

I need them to be partners, not spectators. I need them to be fully engaged, not a temporal being. I need them to know that without them, this project will not succeed. I need them to know that they are the team that will see this to the end - and that we will succeed together or fail as one.

I know that during this project, as the rest I led, problems will pop up, conflicts will happen but after today - they all know that we are all responsible for each other, for the project and for the company.

My knees shake no more...

No comments:

Post a Comment